In Physical Education we are working on our School-wide Wellness and exercise.
In Health our focus is on a school-wide Recycle Program to Recycle, Reduce and Reuse.
In September and October all grades from 1st - 8th participate in the Hooked on Fishing program with assistance from the Knights of Columbus. In the Spring the students in grades Kindergarten and 8th go fishing.
December and January students participate in the Knights of Columbus Free Throw Contest. Contest is for ages 9 years old to 14 years old. Students who are ages 6 to 8 and over 14 are participating in the open shoot contest.
February the school-wide service project participates in The American Heart Association Hoops and Jump Rope for Heart program.
In May the 8th graders and Physical Education Department sponsor the school wide "Spirit Day" event. This year's theme is "Recycle, Reduce, and Reuse"
Ohio's Physical Education content standards serve as a basis for what all students should know, value, and be able to do by the time they graduate from high school.
Physical education teaches students the importance and value of a physically activity lifestyle. There is a variety of benefits gained through physical education. Personal health, social skills, self-esteem, motor skills and knowledge base are areas that can be positively impacted. The philosophy of the physical education academic content standards is to ensure all Ohio students understand and use the acquired knowledge from physical education and apply it to daily life to:
- Develop the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions to live a healthful lifestyle
- Cultivate a true appreciation for the content
- Prepare to be physically active members of a diverse society
- Be equipped with the knowledge and skills to be physically active over the course of the lifespan
- Value physical activity and its contribution to a healthful lifestyle
- Foster joy in movement, an enthusiasm for physical activity and the development of skilled performance
- Pursue a lifetime of healthful physical activity
- Encourage adoption of appropriate behaviors that will lead to healthy, active lifestyles
We also enjoy many fun activities throughout the year. We work with the Knights of Columbus in a program called "Hooked on fishing not on drugs" where the kids spend the morning fishing with the Knights. We also participate in Knights of Columbus Poster Contest for drug, smoking and alcohol abuse. We participate in Hoops for Heart and Jump Rope for Heart raising funds for the American Heart Association. We participate in the Fit as a Pro Program sponsored by the Cleveland Cavs.
We end the year with our annual Spirit Day Field Activities. Every year I work with our 8th graders in developing a theme and fun activities for the rest of the school to participate in. We play and eat lunch together before ending the day with the much-anticipated game of Tug of War.